Type 2 Diabetes is a serious concern for Generation Xers like myself (people in their mid to late 30’s, 40’s, and early 50’s born between 1964 and 1985) because not only is Type 2 diabetes a health concern in and of itself, but also, Type 2 Diabetes significantly increases your chances of getting heart disease which is the leading cause of death for Americans.
So, what is Type II Diabetes?
Type II diabetes (aka adult-onset diabetes or non-insulin dependent diabetes) is a disease that causes your blood sugar levels to rise to high levels. Basically speaking, the body has stopped being able to use insulin normally which has made the Type II Diabetic insulin resistant. For Gen Xers and anyone with Type II Diabetes, the pancreas stops being able to make enough insulin to keep your blood sugar at normal levels.
So, is the outcome always dreary for Generation Xers with Type II Diabetes?
The short answer: No, the outcome is not dreary for Gen Xers with Type II Diabetes.
Unlike Type I diabetes, Type II diabetes can be both prevented and slowed down in severity with certain lifestyle changes, exercise, and diet choices.
(If you are a Gen Xer with Type II diabetes who needs term life insurance quotes for your family, CONTACT ME HERE or call me at (615) 525-6165 so we can discuss your life insurance needs thoroughly. For Gen Xers with Type II diabetes needing term life insurance quotes, I do not recommend getting life insurance quotes from the term life insurance rater on the home page of my website but contacting me directly. I will need to talk it over with my life insurance underwriter and have accurate term life insurance quotes run for you instead).
So how do you lower your Life Insurance Rate if you are a Gen Xer with Type II Diabetes about to apply for Life Insurance?
The key to getting fair life term life insurance rates if you are a Gen Xer with Type II Diabetes about to apply for life insurance lies in managing your condition—if not putting your Type II Diabetes into remission, if possible.
To manage Type II diabetes and to lower your term life insurance rates for which you are applying, you need to do the following:
- LOSE WEIGHT—Being obese is one of the primary causes of Type II diabetes so, first and foremost, if you are a Gen Xer with Type II diabetes, you need to lose weight in order to combat the severity of the condition. Losing weight will ameliorate your blood sugar levels. To find out what a normal weight for your height is, check out your Body Mass Index (i.e. BMI) HERE.
- CUT OUT SUGARS, COLAS, AND ARTIFICIAL SWEETENERS—If you are a Gen Xer wanting to improve your Type II diabetic condition, kick candy bars, regular soda, diet sodas, cakes, candies, etc. to the curb. These do nothing for you nutritionally and spike blood sugar levels for everyone, especially the Type 2 Diabetic. They need to go.
- EXERCISE—Commit yourself to at least working out in the gym or outside three days a week for an hour at a time. You can do yoga, lift weights, pilates, take a jog, etc. Variety is key in maintaining a workout regime—otherwise, you get bored. Similarly, variety in workouts will help you avoid hitting an exercise plateau. Exercise is an essential way of helping Gen Xers with Type II Diabetes improve their condition.
- MOVE—moving goes hand-in-hand with exercise. We live in a sedentary society. We sit in our office from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. and stare at our computer screens all day. We don’t get up and move around enough. Part of the reason for the spike in Gen Xers who have Type II Diabetes is because of the sedentary lifestyle most of us lead. Therefore, commit yourself to getting up every hour while you’re at work and move around the office. Take a few laps round the office. Walk outside. Park your car in a parking spot far away from your office so you can get some more walking in during your commute. Little changes like this add up and can significantly improve your health.
- EAT A HEALTHY DIET–Forego the canned goods and the boxed goods when you go to the grocery store—stick to the corners of the store where the fresh vegetables and fresh fruits are found. Processed foods are full of salt and sugar which are terrible for Gen Xers with Type II Diabetes. Commit yourself to eating fresh vegetables, fresh fruits (fruits without as much sugar), and lean meats.
- TAKE INSULIN TO MANAGE YOUR TYPE II DIABETES—If it is necessary for you to take insulin to manage your Type II diabetes, take your insulin as the doctor prescribed it and work on your diet at the same time. Be consistent. It’s shocking how inconsistently many Type II diabetics who are applying for term life insurance take their insulin. Be consistent.
All in all, if you are a Gen Xer with Type II Diabetes who is about to apply for life insurance, the key to getting a lower life insurance rate lies in reducing the severity of your Type II Diabetes—better yet, putting your Type II Diabetes into remission.
How do you do this?
Lose weight, cut out sugars/colas/artificial sweeteners, exercise, move, eat a healthy diet, take insulin as prescribed, etc. and you are well on your way to improving your health and decreasing the severity of your Type II Diabetes. The list above is by no means exhaustive but is definitely a good start.
I hope this has been a helpful article on how to reduce your life insurance rates if you are a Type 2 Diabetic about to apply for life insurance.
If you are a Gen Xer with Type II Diabetes and need quotes for term life insurance, Contact Me Here. I will write an article in the future about how to reduce your life insurance rate if you are a Type II diabetic who already has a life insurance policy in force. This article is meant for Type II diabetics about to apply for life insurance.
Until next time and until next article,
Term Life Insurance Agent for Generation X